10) Because I get to use important sounding words like diadochokinesis and ankyloglossia - look them up.
9) Because I can communicate secretly with my speech therapist friends using phonetic transcription (kᴂn ju rid ðɪs?).
8) Because I can accurately diagnose Elmer Fudd, Tweety Bird, Daffy Duck and Porky Pig (Interesting that so many of the cartoon characters of my youth had speech disorders.).
7) Because no one expects me to get all dressed up since I play on the floor a good portion of the day.
6) Because shopping for cool toys is a job requirement.
5) Because I get to blow bubbles almost every day (I’ve rarely met a child, or adult for that matter, who doesn’t like bubbles!).
4) Because I’ve had the profoundly exciting experience of hearing many children say their first words.
3) Because seeing a child’s growing sense of pride and accomplishment is awesome!
2) Because I’ve been made an honorary member of so many wonderful families over the past twenty-five years.
And the number one reason I love my job as a pediatric speech therapist (imagine a drum roll at this point):
1) Because being able to have an impact on the lives of children is truly a gift, and I am immensely grateful for the circumstances that led me to this profession!